Today is Friday, that means a little bit of indulgence in my house, wine and cheese in the evening and for lunch these amazing and utterly delicious tacos de moronga or black pudding tacos, yes! You read right! It is black pudding, but it is cooked in a way that you would never know that it is black pudding. I bought my black pudding in my organic and free range butcher, they make their own there, so it was very fresh.
This recipe is in memory of my beloved father Martin, who loved food and ate anything that it was put on his plate! And it is because of him that we had the opportunity to try lots of interesting flavours and food when we were children, so these tacos were like a weekend treat for us, we used to go to the market and there was this butcher whow would have fresh moronga on Sundays, he will only cook it in steam and serve it in tacos with some coriander and chopped onion and I vividly remember eating them and think that they were very delicious!
Moronga or black pudding or morcilla, as the Spanish people call it, is coagulated blood! Yes! It is, I know what you might be thinking, but if you stop thinking about this and give it a try, you will change your mind. Black pudding is rich in iron and zinc and packed with protein, potassium and magnesium, so basically it is very good for you and if you cook it the way I do, honestly, you will love it!
Makes 10 taquitos
For the moronga
- 50 gr black pudding from a good source
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tbs chopped coriander
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
For the tortillas
- 20 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 pickled red onion
- 1 red chilli
- Fresh coriander
- Lime wedges
- Prepare the pickled onion, chopped the coriander and red chili and cut the lime wedges.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil on a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic. Once they are a bit cooked, add the tomato and green pepper.
- Chopped the black pudding very well and once the veggies are cooked add the black pudding to the pan. Add a pinch of salt and stir. The moronga will cook very fast, cook it for 5 min at medium heat. Turn the heat off and add the fresh coriander. Leave aside.
- Then in another frying pan heat 3 tbsp of oil at medium heat and add a tbsp of ground ancho chili, then quickly start heating the tortillas trying to cover them with the oil, dont let them fry, the goal is to warm them and smoother them in the oil. Have a big platter ready and place the little tortillas on it.
- Each taco will have two tortillas, just like they do in the taquerias in Mexico!
- Then to assemble the taquitos, get two tortillas, add some moronga, pickled red onion, fresh coriander and chopped red chili, squeeze some lime and enjoy!