The region where I am from in Mexico is on the Pacific, Baja California, which I think has the best climate in Mexico, we get the breeze from the sea and also the heat from the mountains, but in the summer sometimes gets too hot so at my mum’s we usually cook something refreshing in those summer hot days and ceviche ticks all the important points!
I prepare ceviche the way my family makes it and by now, if you have read some of my other recipes, you probably know that my mum is from Sinaloa therefor a lot of recipes I cook at home are from that region.
Ceviche is not a dish specifically from Mexico, it is eaten in other Latin american countries, Peru, for example, has many ways to cook ceviche, but however you prepare it always tastes delicious!
Prep 20 min approx
Cook 30 min
- 400 gr white fish (haddock, cod) I usually buy haddock
- Juice of 4 limes
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 100 gr coriander finely chopped
- Half a cucumber skin peeled and cut in small cubes
- Half fresh jalapeño chili finely chopped
- 50 ml V8 or Clamato juice
- Homemade tostadas, tortilla chips or tostadas
- Avocado slices
- Huichol or Valentina Salsa
Chopped the fish into tiny little cubes and add the lime juice, leave it to marinate for 15 min and add all the vegetables, mix them very well and add the Clamato and leave in the fridge for 20 min so all the ingredients come together.
Enjoy in on top of a tostada or eat it with tortilla chips, have the avocado, huichol salsa and mayonnaise to garnish it.
- I usually make my tostadas at home, but it takes around 15 min to fry around 5 tostadas. The other option is to buy slightly salted tortilla chips, all major supermarkets have their own brand.