Growing up a in port city, one can have the opportunity to enjoy very fresh fish and seafood. Ensenada is one of those cities, its famous “Mercado Negro” a fish market where you can find very fresh produce. Since I was a child my family have always had bought fish in there and the quality is excellent, this is very important, specially if you are thinking of preparing a Mexican fish broth.
Caldo de Pescado or Sopa de Pescado is that recipe that every family in Ensenada knows how to cook, obviously every family have their own recipe, so this is my family recipe, it is a very simple and quick recipe, so there is no excuse!
Prep 15 min
Cook 30 approx
- 6 cod fillets
- 1.5 litre fish stock
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 small onion peeled
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 or 2 chiplotle chillies in adobo
- 1 large courgette cut in half moons
- 1 potato peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 carrot cut in half moons
- 1 celery stalk cut in half moons
- Pinch pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Chopped coriander
- Juice of a lime
- Blend the tomatoes, onion and chipotle chillies until a smooth consistency.
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish and add the sauce, the fish stock, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 min.
- Add the carrots, courgettes, potatoes and celery. Continue cooking for 10 more min.
- Then when the vegetables are almost cook, add the fish fillets. Cook for 5 min.
- Serve in a bowl and scatter coriander and squeeze a lime wedge.