This morning I fancied something cosy to eat, the weather in London is a bit chilly, my son Emilio and I are at home just chilling out, so I decided to cook a classic Mexican recipe known by almost everybody “Huevos Rancheros”, they look fancy and they taste amazingly delicious. Apparently the origins of this recipe came from the people that used to work in the fields harvesting vegetables and soon became very popular around the country and across the United States.
It is a very simple recipe of fried eggs, tortillas and a salsa make with tomatoes, onions and a bit of green chilli. In my family we usually have them with refried beans and spicy salsa on top. Give them a try over the weekend and believe me, your family will be very happy with you!
Prep 10 min
Cook 20 min
- 4 eggs (2 eggs per person)
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- salt to taste
- rapeseed oil
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium saucepan, add the vegetables and cook for 15 min at low heat, add salt to taste and 2 tbsp water. Reserve.
- While the salsa is cooking fried the eggs and the tortillas in two separate frying pans. The tortillas have to be fried for 1 min on each side in a medium heat frying pan, frying them will help the tortilla not to go soggy.
- To serve them, place a tortilla then the fried egg and top it up with some salsa.
- Have them with some refried beans, spicy salsa, a nice cup of coffee and a fresh orange juice and there! you can have the whole Mexican breakfast experience in the comfort of your home.
- You can get the corn tortillas in www.coolchile.co.uk