p style=”text-align: justify;”>
Today I am cooking with this amazing cuitlacoche made by “Endotzi” a Mexican company that makes Cuitlacoche and mushrooms, their products are very good, specially the Cuitlacoche as they do not add many condiments, all it has is some onion and salt, so that makes this Cuitlacoche special as you can almost have the natural taste of fresh Cuitlacoche. I decided to make a Risotto, one of my favourite Italian dishes, I once tried this dish in Manzanilla Restaurant in Ensenada and I really liked it, I think is a good way to give a modern twist to a traditional Mexican ingredient.
Cuitlacoche also known as Huitlacoche or Corn Truffle in English is a fungus which grows naturally in corn, in Mexico it is consider a delicacy and it is use in many Mexican dishes. It has a very earthy flavour.
Prep 10 min
Cook 35 min approx
- 400 g arborio risotto rice
- 220 gr jar of “Endotzi” Cuitlacoche
- 750 ml hot organic vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 wineglasses dry white vermouth or dry white wine
- salt to taste if you are using unsalted vegetable stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- 70 g Parmesan cheese , freshly grated
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a casserole dish, add the onions and garlic and fry very slowly for about 15 minutes without colouring. When the vegetables have softened, add the rice and turn up the heat.
- Fry the rice until translucent then add the wine and keep stirring. Any harsh alcohol flavours will evaporate.
- Once the alcohol has evaporated and the rice is cooked, add your first ladle of hot stock. Turn down the heat so the rice doesn’t cook too fast. Keep adding the stock in small batches, allowing each batch to be absorbed before adding the next. This will take around 20 minutes. Check if the rice is cooked, if not, continue adding stock until the rice is soft but with a slight bite.
- While the rice is cooking, take some of the cuitlacoche and add 3 tbsp vegetable stock and blend until getting a smooth consistency and reserve.
- Once the rice is cooked remove from the heat and add the cuitlacoche sauce and some parmesan and stir very well. Place a lid on the pan and leave it to rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve it as soon as the risotto is cooked, sprinkle some parmesan and rapeseed oil on top.
- You can find “Endotzi” Cuitlacoche in www.mexgrocer.co.uk, they stock this and many other Mexican ingredients of very high quality.
- You can add peas, sweetcorn and asparagus as well.