The word camote, sweet potato, comes from the nahuatl word “Camohtli”. In Mexico we tent to eat sweet potatoes as a dessert, traditionally the sweet potatoes are cooked in “piloncillo” (raw sugar) syrup.
There is even people that go around the streets selling hot sweet potatoes in syrup, we call them “Camoteros”, this person goes around shouting “Caaaaaaamoootes”.The first time my husband heard the camotero outside of our house, he got scared, as the camotero was releasing the steam from his “camote trolley”.
When I first arrived in London and I saw them in the supermarket, I remember I told my husband about this recipe and he thought that it was a bit strange, but for me, it was a bit strange to eat sweet potato in salty dishes, but I never dislike the flavour, in fact I found it very interesting to mix the sweetness of the “Camote” with other dishes, so that is how I came out with this tasty recipe and it is perfect for a day like today, it is raining in London, again! so this spicy sweet potato soup will warm you up. The sweetness of the sweet potato just goes very well with the touch of chipotle chilli in adobo and if you serve it with some sour cream, it gives the soup a slight tangy flavour that ease the spiciness of the chillies, but if chilli is not a problem with you and you can handle high levels of spiciness then just add some chilli oil on top of the sour cream and then you will feel that you are in Mexico. Enjoy and happy cooking!
Prep 10 min
Cook 45 min approx
- 7 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 garlic with skin on and slightly bashed
- Some fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp smoked chipotle paste
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- Some sourcream
- chilli oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise, place them on a tray with the garlic and thyme, sprinkle some salt, pepper and rapeseed oil.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and roast them for around 30 min.
- Put them in a blender with one garlic (one that has been roasted with the potatoes).
- Add the smoke chipotle paste and vegetable stock and blend until getting a smooth consistency.
- Serve it as a starter or light lunch in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream and chilli oil.
- Enjoy it with a big piece of sour dough bread and butter.
- You can get the chipotles chillies in adobo sauce in www.mexgrocer.co.uk or www.mextrade.co.uk, if chipotle chillies come in whole, just blend them to make a paste.