Christmas!! I love Christmas, my favourite time of the year. When I was a child, we used to spend Christmas in Culiacan, Sinaloa, at my grandma’s house, I used to love it, I had so many nice memories playing with my cousins, eating nice cosy Mexican food, playing “Loteria”, going to the Christmas fair, turning on “Luces de bengala” (sparklers), oh! I wish I was a child again, seriously!
In Mexico we celebrate Christmas on Chritmas Eve on 24th, so at my grandma’s all my aunties and my grandma used to spend all day in the kitchen, so at night we could have a Christmas Feast, they used to do Tamales de Res, my mum’s family signature dish for Christmas, you can find the recipe in my blog, just click over here and we would eat these sitting on the table in rounds as my mum’s family is very big.
Today, I am sharing with you the recipe for these beautiful Mexican cookies, they are made with “Mexican Chocolate” (Mexican Chocolate), which is a bit different from the common chocolate bars you find in the supermarket. Mexican chocolate is made with cinnamon, sugar and cocoa, these ingredients, give the chocolate a very nice flavour. There are two famous brands of Mexican chocolate, Chocolate Abuelita, which is the one I used for this recipe or Ibarra, which is the one that you probably will find here in London. You can find Mexican chocolate in one of the Mexican online shops.
All this month I will be sharing with you different Mexican Christmas recipes or Christmas recipes with a Mexican touch, so stay tuned and do not forger to subscribe to the mail list.
Makes around 20 medium cookies or 30 small
- 1 Mexican Chocolate Bar (it can be Abuelita or Ibarra) crushed into tiny pieces
- 1 3/4 of a cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 large egg or 2 small
- a splash vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 C or gas mark 5
- Combine the flour with the baking powder.
- Beat the butter with the sugars until getting a soft consistency, then add the egg and the splash of vanilla.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the sugar and butter mix and then add the Mexican chocolate. Mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
- Take little batches of the mixture with a tablespoon and place them on a baking tray, remember to use greaseproof paper before putting the cookie mix on it.
- Place the cookies in the hot oven and bake for around 10 min or until they are a bit golden on top. Sprinkle them with some icing sugar to give them a more Christmas look.
- You can buy the Mexican chocolate in www.mexgrocer.co.uk
- If you can’t find Mexican chocolate, you can always used a 70 % dark chocolate, just use a bit more sugar and add cinnamon.