Aubergines! I love aubergines and I can eat them any time, they are very nutritious and they are an excellent option for vegetarians because they have a very meaty texture, so when you mix them with a sauce, you think you are eating some sort of meat, so these days they have been saving me when “el inglés” doesn’t want to eat meat, like today.
This is my own recipe and I hope you like it, I used mole sauce already made from “la costeña”, they do a good mole and from time to time is ok to cheat a bit and besides making mole from scratch is not on my list of things to do on a very busy day like today.
Prep 15 min
Cook 40 min
- 4 large aubergines washed and cut lenghwise (one per person)
- 3 tbsp of “La Costeña” mole
- 2 tbsp tomato puré
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rapeseed oil
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce washed and shredded
- Fetta cheese
- Sour cream
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or gas mark 6. Place the sliced aubergines on a baking tray, add oil, salt and pepper to taste and put them in the oven to bake for around 30 min.
- In the meantime prepare the mole sauce. Add two cups of hot water in a saucepan and add the 3 tbsp of mole, stir until the mole has disolved, add the tomato puré and simmer for 10 min.
- Have the lettuce, cheese, sour cream and jalapeño chilli ready.
- Once the aubergines are cook take them out of the oven and place the slices one on top of other one, pour plenty of mole sauce and garnish with lettuce, cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some chopped jalapeño.
- You can buy La Costeña mole in www.lacosteña.co.uk