Today I decided to make a tomato soup, an old English classic and one of my hubby’s favourite soup, but I put a little Mexican twist to it to make it more interesting, deliciuous and yes! you guessed, spicy!
So here is the quick recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as my son Emilio and I did.
Prep 15 min
Cook 1 hr approx
- 1 Kg tomatoes cut in halves (different types)
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 shallot sliced and fried in oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 pint vegetable stock
For the Salsa Bandera to garnish
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 small ripe avocado thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees or gas mark 6.
- Place the tomatoes on a tray and sprikle some garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and oil, then place it in the oven and bake for 45 min approx
- In the meantime prepare the salsa bandera, mix the chopped tomato, shallot and jalapeño pepper, add the coriander, salt and pepper to taste and squeeze some lemon to give more flavour.
- Once the tomatoes are roasted place them in a blender with the shallot, vegetable stock and chipotle chilli and blend until smooth, then sieve it and put it in a saucepan. Cook for 10 more min.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with the salsa bandera and the avocado slices.