There is nothing more satisfying after a long tiring day than eating a nice comforting meal at dinner time and that was the case for me when I made this scrumbscious beef guisado. The recipe is basically the filling my family makes when we do tamales, but I take it to the next level of yumminess adding more vegetables and olives.
Guisados (stews) are very popular in Mexico, there are so many delicious guisados that there are even people with taquerias doing “tacos de guisado”, which are tacos with different types of fillings, you can choose what to put on your taco. In Ensenada, the place where I am from, there is one particular place I love to go and eat these type of tacos, they are called “Las Viandas” it is run by a family and they make different type of stews every day, so when you go there, you order a taco and choose a filling, the most popular guisados are: tinga, birria and rajas. They are delicious.
So my guisado recipe can be eaten with rice and vegetables, like in the picture or in a corn tortilla like a taco, give it a try and tell me what you think! Do not forget to subscribe.
Prep 20 min
Cook 40 min
To cook the meat
- 700 g beef skirt
- 1 large tomato cut in half
- 1/2 onion peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
To cook the stew
- 2 large carrots cut in small cubes
- 1 large courgette finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion peeled and shredded
- 1 green pepper julienned
- 1 large potato cut in cubes
- 3 dried ancho chillies cleaned and deseeded
- 1 cup green olives
- Place the meat in a large casserole dish with the tomato, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients and take it to a boil and low the heat. Get rid of any impurities.
- While the meat is cooking, chopped all your vegetables and reserve.
- Once the meat it is cooked, shred it and reserve.
- Place the dried chillies into to beef stock that was left from the meat and cook for 7 min.
- Blend the chillies with the tomato, onion and garlic from the stock and add as well some of the stock, sieve it and reserve.
- Heat a frying pan and add 2 tbsp oil, add the onion, after a few minutes add the tomatoes, then the green pepper, then the meat, chilli sauce, carrots, potatoes, courgettes and olives, all in this order.
- Cook for 20 min and serve.
- Enjoy it with peas and a tomato rice. Leave a comment and tell me what you think!