Today I was feeling a bit down, it wasn’t a good day, so I didn’t have the energy of cooking a proper meal, in fact, I didn’t want to cook at all, but as a mother I can’t just say “I’m not cooking”, but I can make quick and easy recipes like this one.
So I went into the kitchen and my first thought was, yes! you guessed! pasta the saviour ingredient for all the mothers out there, but I did’t want pasta with a sauce from a jar, so I started to look around my kitchen and I had an idea, “I will do a pasta bake with a Mexican touch”, but again, another but!, I’m trying to eat healthy, so I thought “Pasta soup with kale and peas!, yes, that is a good combination, ah! and for the Mexican touch? my last dried ancho chillie” (yes, I thought all that in a split of a second). So this is the outcome of my thoughts!
Prep 10 min
Cook 20 min
- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 1 Kg fresh kale leaves washed and finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 dried ancho chilli
- 1 tomato
- 2 spring onion
- 2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
- Fresh or feta cheese
- 10 gr fresh chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Heat the oil in a large casserole, add the kale and cook for 5 min, then add the pasta, peas, chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper and continue cooking for around 10 min.
- Then add the dried ancho chilli to the soup to soften.
- Once soften transfer it to the blender and add the fresh tomato, spring onion and some of the liquid from the soup. Blend well until smooth.
- Sieve the salsa and add it to the soup.
- Cook for 10 more min and serve with fresh or fetta cheese and chopped coriander.
- You can use any other small pasta you fancy like stars, alphabet, shells.
- Add more green vegetables like courgettes, spinach, green beans.