Good morning lovely people! Today’s recipe is a classic dish from Jalisco, Carne en su Jugo and if you translate it into English, it means, beef in its own juices, but here is the thing, the meat is not really cook in its own juices, this lovely and delicious dish goes with a yummy salsa that is prepared with tomatillos, then when you serve it, you need to serve it with fresh frijoles de la olla (beans from the pot), so if you plan to cook this dish, put your pinto beans to soak early in the morning and then cook them, so they’re ready to have them with the beef.
This is a quick recipe, it will take you around 30 min to make and it is just tastes extremely yum! For the meat I bought bavette steak and I cut it into thin strips, then some rashes of bacon, I bought mine unsmoked, but it is up to you. Then chop some onion and fresh coriander to garnish and of course some lime! Mexican food, wouldn’t be Mexican without the lime.
So here is the recipe, I hope you like it as much as I do. Have a great week XX
- 350 stir fry steak or bavette steak
- 8 rashes of bacon
- 4 fresh tomatillos
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 fresh chopped coriander
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chili
- 2 cups water
- A pinch of ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
To garnish and serve
- Frijoles de la Olla
- Chopped onion
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Lime wedges
- Early in the morning put your pinto beans to cook. Follow the link Frijoles de la Olla
- Chop the bacon. Heat a frying pan and fry the bacon for around 10 min. Once it’s fried, remove it from the pan and set aside, do not get rid of the fat left in the pan.
- In the same frying pan fry the meat. While the meat is frying, do the salsa.
- Add the tomatillos, coriander, onion, garlic, water and chili in the blender. Blend until everything is properly smooth. Keep aside.
- While the meat is frying add some salt and pepper to taste. Make sure is properly seasoned. Fry it until is brown.
- Once all the meat is brown, add the salsa and cook at medium heat.
- Once starts boiling, add the bacon. Cook for 10 more min and check if it needs more salt. Then turn off the heat and serve.
- Serve in a bowl. First put some freshly cooked beans with some juice. Then the Carne en su Jugo on top. Garnish with chopped onion and coriander. And to finish it up, squeeze some lime.