Breakfasts in Mexico are wonderful. We love sitting at the table and enjoy our fresh made eggs, done in different ways, eating tortillas, drinking coffee and finish with a delicious Pan Dulce!
Huevos ahogados are these lovely eggs smothered in a spicy salsa, topped with fresh veggies. There are different versions of it, this is my family recipe! Enjoy!
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 small garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli
- 2 cups water
- Sea Salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- Some fresh jalapeño slices
- Avocado slices
- First make the salsa. Heat a frying pan and put the tomatoes, garlic, peeled onion & jalapeño directly on the very hot pan, no need to add oil.
- Charred the vegetables for 10 min. Keep turning them around so they charred evenly.
- After 10 min put them in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend until getting a smooth sauce.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the sauce. Cook for 15 min and then add the eggs into the sauce. Cook the sauce with the eggs for 5 min.
- Serve in a bowl with plenty of salsa, so the egg drowns into it. Add some chopped coriander, slices of fresh jalapeño and avocado. Enjoy!