After a long walk this morning I came home to have a yummy breakfast with my nice home made papaya marmalade. This is a very easy recipe to make and delicious, if you want to make it a bit extra special, you can add 3 arbol chilli flakes to give a bit of a punch to it, I like my marmalade to have that punch as I can eat it for breakfast with some fresh papaya and cream cheese or for lunch in a sandwich with some fresh cheese and spinach leaves or you can even have it in a cheese board with some hard cheeses.
Makes 4 jars of 250 ml
Prep 10 min
Cook 1 hr approx
- 1 Kg ripe papaya cut in chunks
- 800 gr jam sugar
- 2 lemons
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 dried arbol chilli (optional)
- 4 sterilized jam jars
- Heat the papaya, water and lemon juice in a large sauce pan, once it has been cooking for around 10 min, mash it very well to get a pure consistency.
- Then add the jam sugar and stir continuously until dissolve then let it simmer, stir from time to time, once the sugar has dissolve, let it cook for around 15 min. and turn it off.
- Put it hot in the sterilize jars and seal them, let the cool at room temperature and then store them in the fridge.
To sterilize the bottles
- Turn the oven to gas mark 1.
- Wash them in soapy water and rinse very well.
- Place them in an oven tray and put them in the oven to dry.
- If you are using Kilner jars, sterilize their lids in boiling water.
Don’t forget to subscribe