Agua fresca is on of the most famous drinks in Mexico, it is basically water with fresh fruit flavour. Today I made an agua fresca with some watermelon, as the weather in London is hot and nice. Continue reading “Agua Fresca de Sandía (Watermelon Agua Fresca)”
Champurrado is a hot Mexican drink made with chocolate and “atole”. In Mexico we use maize in different ways, the most popular way is masa (lime-treated maize), whit masa we make tortillas, tamales, gorditas and many other dishes, we also use it to thicken sauces or soups, and we also use masa to make drinks, like chapurrado.
Champurrado is the mixture of Mexican chocolate and a drink call “Atole” which is a drink made with masa, milk, water and piloncillo. There are different types of atoles: guava, strawberry, vanilla. It is very common to drink champurrado while eating tamales, specially during special ocassions like the Day of the Dead or Christmas.
In my family my sister Cynthia makes a very delicious “Guava Atole”, she prepares this drink for Christmas, it is a very comforting drink, perfect for a winter day.
I decided to make champurrado at home, it has been raining in London and I feel a bit tired, so I thought to make myself feel better and get into the Christmas spirit, so my son and I will drink some hot champurrado while we make some Christmas art and crafts.
Prep 5 min
Cook 15 to 20 min
- 1/4 cup Maseca or Masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Mix the maseca with the 2 cups of hot water until all the lumps have dissolved. If needed, use a strainer to get a fine mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the milk along with the chocolate, cinnamon and sugar until it dissolves. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the maseca mixture to the milk and stir continuously until getting a smooth runny consistency.
- Serve in cups and enjoy.
- If you want to make champurrado for more people, just double the ingredients for every 4 people.
- This drink has a thick and smooth consistency, if you want it runnier, just add more milk or add less maseca.