In Mexico “Pan Dulce” or sweet bread, is a big thing, there is an enourmous varieties of sweet bread that you can’t even imagine, we even have special shops that only sell “Pan Dulce” they are call “Panaderias”, bakeries.
At home in London I sometimes like to make some of these recipes, this one is my children’s favourite pan dulce. We call them orejas (ears) because of their shape, it is a very easy recipe to make and you only need three ingredients, so there is no excuse!
Makes 10 approx
Prep 5 min
Cook 20 min approx
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 150 gr caster sugar
- 5 gr ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200 C or gas mark 6
- Open the puff pastry sheet and remove it from the paper.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle some sugar mix on baking paper and place the puff pastry sheet, press it with your hands so the sugar sticks to the pastry.
- Fold on side to the centre of the pastry and do the same with the other side (see picture), sprinkle some sugar.
- Then fold them again the same way and sprinkle sugar.
- Make the last folding and continue sprinkling more sugar.
- Flat them slightly with a rolling pin or your hands and sprinkle more sugar on each side. The finish shape has to look like a heart.
- Place them in the hot oven and bake for around 20 min or until golden brown and crispy. Don’t forget to turn them half way through the baking time.