Chorizo is a very popular ingredient in a Mexican kitchen. In my mum’s house we always have chorizo and we would eat chorizo in many different ways. I love it and it is one of my favourite Mexican ingredients that I have to have in my kitchen.
The city of Toluca in Mexico is call the capital of chorizo, there they made delicious chorizo rojo (red) or chorizo verde (green) which is made with tomatillos, coriander, chilies and other ingredients, the red chorizo is made with different types of dry chillies like guajillo and ancho, they also use paprika and other aromatic herbs.
This dish is very comforting and delicious, good for these autumn days. It is not difficult to make and the ingredients are easy to find.
So let’s begin with the recipe and I hope you enjoy it.
Papas con Chorizo
- 200 g cooking chorizo finely chopped
- 350 g potatoes peeled, small diced
- 50 g onion small diced
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 2 fried eggs cooked to your taste
- Start by chopping all the ingredients and have them ready to use.
- Then heat the oil on a large frying pan to medium heat and add the onion.
- Fry the onion for 3 minutes and then add the minced garlic. Fry these two ingredients until the onion has soften, making sure they don't burn.
- Then add the potatoes and mix constantly so the potatoes cook evenly all around. Lower the heat slightly so they don't burn.
- Fry for 10 minutes and then add the chorizo and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue frying the chorizo con papas until the potatoes are soft, but not burn. Use a lid from a pot to cover them for a few minutes so they can cook quicker.
- Serve them on a plate and scatter some fresh coriander and a fried egg.
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes in North London.