I am starting this year with my first recipe and what could be better than a Rosca de Reyes!! Last year I posted the traditional recipe to make a proper King’s cake, but this year I decided to give it a twist and make it easier and tastier, so I made like an upside down cake and I bake it in a round tin then decorated with traditional Rosca de Reyes fruit, marzipan and sugar bits!
So here is my super easy recipe to enjoy a nice Rosca de Reyes with a hot chocolate and if you are lucky enough! You might get the little king doll that is inside the cake, which suppose to bring you good luck!
For the cake batter
- 200 gr all purpose flour
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 200 gr soft unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- Zest of a mandarin
- Juice of a mandarin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To decorate the cake
- 3 glazed cherries
- 3 slices of mandarin
- Sugar crystal
- 3 stripes of golden marzipan
- Icing sugar
- 50 gr unsalted butter
- 50 gr brown soft sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan assisted or gas mark 6
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large baking bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder, mandarin zest)
- Mix the wet ingredients (eggs, butter, vanilla extract, mandarin juice)
- Then mix all with the help of an electric mixer to add air to the batter.
- Then mix the 50 gr unsalted butter with the brown soft sugar
- Spread the mixture to the round baking tin and place the mandarin slices and glazed cherries.
- Place in the oven for 40 min, before taking it out make sure it is cooked through picking it with baking wood pick, if it comes out clean that means it is ready.
- Remove it from the baking tin and place it on a plate to cool down.
- Once cool down decorate it with marzipan strips, sugar crystals, icing sugar and place king doll inside the cake by lifting it up.
- Enjoy with with a Mexican hot chocolate and good luck!
- You can add other type of glazed fruit like figs, ginger and you can also add some quince stripes.