Nothing describes Mexico than a maize tortilla! they are Mexico and its people.
Lovely round beauties, always made with love, which you can use to eat with anything. We love to use them as a spoon or fill them with cheese and they become quesadillas or stuff them with a delicious guisado and they become a taco! Tortillas are Mexico and Mexicans can not live without tortillas, we eat them every day, for breakfast, lunch or dinner and today I am sharing with you the recipe of how to make lovely corn tortillas!
Here you will find the recipe first and at the end I am giving you my tips for a perfect tortilla!
Makes 30 small tortillas
- 400 gr Mexican corn flour (Naturelo)
- 600 ml lukewarm water
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Tortilla press
- 2 sheets of thick plastic, I use a ziploc or ikea medium size freezing bag, cut all the sides of the bag until getting two separate sheets.
- a large bowl to prepare the dough
- large non stick frying pan
- flat spatula
- kitchen tea towel to wrap the tortillas
- tortillera basket to store them (optional)
- Start by heating the frying pan at medium high heat.
- Then place the flour in the bowl and start adding the water, small amounts at a time, you just have to integrate the flour to make a dough.
- Mix well until the flour is well combine and the dough does not stick on to your hands. This flour does not need to be knead, it is gluten free. So as soon the flour comes together, you are ready to make your tortillas. You need a moist dough that does not stick on your hands. If you add too much water, just add more flour or if it is too dry, just add more water.
- Then separate the dough into little balls, slightly smaller than a golf ball. Round them very well.
- Open your tortilla press and place on one sheet of plastic on the bottom of the tortilla press, then place a corn dough ball and place the other sheet of plastic on top. Close the tortilla press and press, then open it, turn the tortilla with the plastic and press again. The tortilla has to be thin.
- Then take the top plastic off. Place the tortilla on the palm of your hand and take the other plastic off. Place the tortilla on the hot frying pan. Count to ten and flip it over. Cook it on the other side for around 20 sec and turn it over again. Do this twice to cook evenly on both sides.
- Press it a bit with the spatula to make it inflate like a little balloon. When your tortilla inflates, it is ready to be remove from the heat.
- Wrap them in a tea towel to keep them warm. Enjoy them just made with a bit of salt and roll them with your hands like we do in Mexico or fill them with your favourite food.
- To make corn tortillas, always buy Nixtamalize corn flour (Mexican corn flour), there are two famous brands in Mexico, Maseca or Minsa. It is easily available online.
- Use a tortilla press, they can be bought online, but if you do not have one, use two thick books, it might take you a bit longer, but they will do the job of the tortilla press.
- Make sure to have some flour on the side, in case the dough gets too moist. You can always add more flour, but it will be impossible to get rid off the water excess.
- Always make sure to flip over the tortilla 10 seconds after placing it on the hot pan.
- Control the heat of the pan, start with a really hot pan, but if your tortillas start to burn, lower the heat and vice versa.
- Make thin tortillas, they cook faster and they are easy to handle and to eat.
- Practice makes perfect. So practice as much as you can.
- Be adventurous and add flavours to your dough.