Living in a beach town in Mexico meant that we used to go there quite a bit and my parents loved taking food to eat. One of my mum’s favourite dishes was this quick and easy ensalada de coditos y atun or tuna pasta salad, because she used to add anything she could find in the fridge. Easy to make and also fast.
Then we would spend the whole day by the beach, jumping waves and playing with the sand, then we would eat and eat this salad and drink lots of agua fresca! Those were the good times of my childhood I would never forget!
Ensalada de Coditos y Atun
- 500 g codito pasta or chifferi rigati
- 4 tins tuna in water
- 1 tin pitted black olives cut in half
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup sweetcorn
- ½ cup fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ½ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Once is cooked, drain the pasta and rinse it with cold water until the pasta is cold.
- Chop all the vegetables and set aside.
- Mix the mayonnaise, creme fraiche, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a little bowl.
- Open the tins of tuna and drain the water, put then in a large salad bowl and mix.
- Then add the vegetables and mix and then add the pasta, mix again.
- Add the dressing and mix very well. Keep it in the fridge until is ready to eat. Enjoy it with some delicious and refreshing agua fresca.
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes.