Ever since I remember I’ve always like a good cake. In my family my parents were not big fans on making cakes or desserts, but my mum was very good at making a few sweet things like doughnuts, flan or camote in syrup, so I grew up eating cake only when we used to go to parties.
Nowadays I see myself being a bit like my mum, I don’t really like baking, so I prefer buying desserts for when we have friends coming over or I ask my friends to bring the dessert. But when I do put my mind into something it always tend to turn out quite good and it is the case of this delicious Tres Leches cake. I made the rhubarb the day before and I used a very easy recipe for the sponge cake. It didn’t take me long to make this beautiful cake.
A tres leches cake is one a very famous Mexican cake made with just a sponge vanilla cake and the combination of three different milks: full fat, evaporated and condense milk. The sponge absorbs the milk mixture and the cake becomes very moist and delicious.
Pastel de Tres Leches
- 2 cake tin 18 cm
For the Rhubarb syrup
- 2 pieces rhubarb
- 1 blood orange
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
For the Cake sponges
- 200 g self raising flower
- 200 g soft unsalted butter room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs room temperature
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the Tres Leches
- 50 ml full fat milk
- 50 ml condense milk
- 50 ml evaporated milk
For the Whipping Cream Frosting
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the Rhubarb syrup
- Pre heat the oven to 180° C fan. Cut the rhubarb in small pieces and place it in an oven dish.
- Squeeze the juice out of the blood orange and pour it over the rhubarb and then add the agave syrup. Mix well. Place in the oven for 20 min.
- Once it is cooked, remove it from the baking dish, set aside to cool down.
To make the sponge cake
- Butter the cake tins and place some parchment paper on the bottom to avoid the cake to stick. Pre heat the oven to 170° C fan.
- Mix the sugar witht the butter, then add the flour, eggs, salt, baking powder, milk and vanilla.
- Pour the cake mixture equally into the two tins. Place the tins in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cake is cooked.
- Take them out and leave them to cool down for 10 minutes, then remove them from the cake tins and leave them to cool down properly on a cake rack.
To make the Tres Leches mix
- Mix the three different milks and leave them in a jar ready for when the sponge cake is completely cool down.
To make the whipping cream
- Pour the whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a electric mixer. Mix until stiff peaks form.
To make the Tres Leches & Rhubarb Cake
- Place one of the sponge cake on a plate and prick it with a skewer, then pour some of the tres leches mixture. Pour some of the whipping cream and spread it properly, then place some rhubarb pieces.
- Put the other sponge cake on top and prick it as well. Pour the tres leches. mix and cover the cake with the whipping cream, like on the photo. Place the rest of the rhubarb on the top adding some of the juices. Enjoy a lovely slice with a nice cup of coffee.
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes.