There are some essential recipes that my mum said to me I needed to learn to make good Mexican food and a good and flavoursome shredded beef is a very important recipe you need to learn how to prepare. This recipe is so useful that you will be surprise how many other recipes one can cook after the shredded beef is done.
Every time I make it, I always make sure to buy a good piece of grass fed beef brisket, then I just place it in a dutch oven with some essential veggies, add water and salt and put it in the oven for hours. Believe me, It is that easy!
And from shredded beef you can make: taquitos dorados, flautas, tortas, tamales, sopes, empanadas, uff! the list goes on and on.
I hope you like my recipe. Remember to let me know what you think.
- dutch oven (iron casserole dish)
- 1 Kg beef brisket with some fat
- 1 bone marrow small
- 2 medium tomatoes cut in half
- 1 small white onion peeled
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 L water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Place the piece of brisket in a dutch oven with a lid with the bone marrow, tomato, onion, garlic, salt and add the water.
- Place the casserole dish with lid on in the oven and cook for 30 minutes to 200°C.
- Then lower the heat to 140°C and cook for 3 hrs. Take the pot out of the oven.
- Shred the piece of brisket with the help of two forks. Remove and fat and sinew. Use straight after or place in frezzable bags and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Freeze the stock as well. Use the shredded beef with any Mexican dish you fancy cooking.