Esquites or Vasos de Elote, like the way we call them in Ensenada, the place where I am from, are my favourite street food since forever.
This delicious, creamy antojito is something that you must need to try.
Esquites con Camarón
- 440 g white corn kernels or sweet corn. Cooked.
- 150 g cooked prawns peeled, cleaned and chop.
- 25 g butter slightly salted
- ¼ cup mayonnaise full fat
- ½ cup grated Wensleydale cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 limes
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 epazote leaves fresh or dried. Optional.
To make the Esquites
- Open the corn tin and remove some of the water they come in.
- Heat a saucepan and add the butter. Once the butter has melted. Add the corn kernels and mix.
- After a minute add the hot water, salt, mayonaisse, epazote and 1 tbsp of cheese. Put the lid on and cook at low heat for 5 min, making sure it does not over heat. Check them from time to time.
- After 5 minutes add the cooked prawns and continue cooking until the prawns are hot.
- Once the corn and prawn are hot, serve them in individual glasses. There is enough for 4 small glasses or small bowls.
- Serve some kernels and prawns with some of the juice. Add some toppings: cheese, chilli powder, more mayo (optional), lime juice.
- Eat like if you were eating a soup. They are delicious.