These delicious pickled onions are just so useful and tasty, I always have some in the fridge just in case I want to add more flavour to a dish. Perfect for Cochinita Pibil tacos, fish tacos, tostadas or even salads.
I love adding a little bit of heat to them and then they become like a little salcita, but if you just want to make them add flavour to any dish, just leave the habanero out.
Let me know if you like this recipe. Remember that your feedback is important for me.
- 1 red onion peeled, finely diced
- 1 orange
- 3 limes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 habanero chilli or scotch bonnet chilli
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Dice the onion (picture) then add ½ tsp salt. Mix and leave aside to rest for 10 min.
- In the meantime squeeze the juice of the orange and limes. Set aside
- Chop the habanero chilli, if you are adding some.
- After 10 minutes, rinse the onion with cold water to get rid of the excess of salt.
- Then add the juice of the orange and lime. Salt, chopped habanero chilli and oregano. Mix and leave aside for 30 minutes before using.
- Add to tacos, tostadas or any salad.
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes.