Starting my 2022 with this lovely and cosy vegan soup that my dad used to make for us when we were children. It is a very easy potato soup with a delicious tomato broth, you can make it vegetarian by adding some halloumi.
This is one of my favourite soup I love cooking for my family because it brings me lovely memories of my childhood. My dad, an avid and passionate cook, used to make use of all the ingredients in our pantry before doing a trip to the market. He used to made this sopita when there wasn’t much to eat.
Let me know if you like the recipe,
Sopa de Papa
- High speed blender
- 3 large red potato peeled and cut in cubes
- 4 medium tomatoes cut in half
- ½ medium white onion peeled
- 1 small garlic clove peeled
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp concentrate tomato purée
- ⅛ tsp dried oregano
- ½ fresh coriander finely chopped
- halloumi cheese finely diced
- Roughly cut the tomatoes, onion and garlic in big chunks. Place into a high speed blender and add one cup of water and blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to medium heat. Pour the tomato sauce and add the salt, oregano, tomato purée and bring to a boil. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes to medium low heat.
- Add the rest of the hot water and add the potatoes. Cook the potatoes for around 10 minutes, making sure they don't over cook.
- Once the potatoes are soft, turn the heat off and serve the soup, add some fresh coriander and diced halloumi. Enjoy!
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes in North London.