Aguachile is a dish from the state of Sinaloa. Sinaloa is a state in the north of Mexico with a beautiful cost line. Sinaloa is well known in Mexico because its amazing and delicious seafood and fish dishes and aguachile is one of the most popular dishes from this place.
My mum is from Sinaloa, so I grew up eating incredible seafood every time we would go and visit my mama Mila’s house (my grandma). My uncles and aunties would always made so many delicious dishes with the super fresh seafood and aguachile is one of them.
These days, aguachile has become so popular all around the world, it is a very easy recipe to make, packed with flavour and perfect for those hot summer days.
The most popular aguachile is done with prawns or shrimps if you live in US, they need to be super fresh. skin off and deveined, then butterflied in order to cook them in the lime, coriander and chilli juice. They are served as soon as they are done, but this is because the prawns are super fresh, so they serve them raw and then the prawns are cooked in the lime and chilli juice, this is because in Sinaloa the seafood is super fresh.
In the pictures I took for this recipe, the prawns are partially cooked, but if you make this recipe, please remember to wait until the prawns are properly cooked, they need to be pink/white all around, this is the safest way to eat this dish.
Let me know if you make this recipe and if you like it. I would love to know what you think.
- 600 g prawns cleaned, peeled, devained and butterflied
- 7 limes juiced
- ½ cucumber thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced into strips
- small bunch fresh coriander stalks and everything
- 2 fresh jalapeños roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 chiltepines or 1 large red chilli finely chopped
- 3 tbsp water
- 8 corn tostadas or a bag of tortilla chips
- Clean the prawns, deveined them and the butterfliy them (see pictures)
- Place them on a platter and store them in the fridge while preparing the spicy juice.
- Using a high speed blender, blend the coriander, jalapeños, lime juice, salt and water. Blend until getting a very smooth consistancy. Then pass this juice through a sieve.
- Pour the aguachile over the prawns and take them back to the fridge for 30 minutes or until they are cooked.
- Once they are pink, top them with thin slices of cucumber, red onion and chiltepin. Enjoy them with corn tostadas or tortilla chips.