In my family we have some dishes that we call emergency dishes, dishes that my parents used to cook when they didn’t have time or money and this is the case of this soup as the ingredients are very basic and cheap, but the result is a soup pack with tons of nice flavour. Feel free to add more ingredients if you want t make it even nicer, but in this occasion I will tell you the way my dad used to make it.
Prep 10 min
Cook 35 min approx
- 500 gr baby potatoes peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 organic tin chopped tomatoes
- 5 measuring cups of hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small chopped onion finely
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- A pinch of Mexican oregano
- A pinch of Epazote
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
To garnish (optional)
- 1 cup halum cheese cut in small cubes
- 1 avocado cut
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 lime
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño (optional)
- Blend the chopped tin tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Heat a sauce pan, add the oil, tomato sauce, cook for 10 min.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, pinch of epazote, pinch of oregano, salt and black pepper to taste and potatoes, cook for 15 min or until the potatoes are tender.
- Check the seasoning for the last time before turning the heat off.
- Serve in a bowl, scatter the halum cheese, avocado, coriander, squeeze some lime and enjoy with a refreshing hibiscus water.