These are difficult times and we have to look after ourselves and our love ones and the way I look after my little family is by cooking delicious and healthy food.
I love cooking from scratch, but I don’t like to complicate my life by cooking long recipes, specially during this quarantine time as there are other things I need to do that are my priority like playing with my children and do school work. I’m sure all the mums agree with me.
So today I’m sharing with you this delicious Tostada de Frijoles Negros or Black Beans Tostadas that you can do under 30 min, it is perfect for a quick and healthy lunch. If you are not following me on my social media channels yet, I advice you to do it, as I show there how to do this recipe in more detail.
Tostadas are another amazing way to enjoy those tortillas that are going stale. In Mexico these beauties are fried in oil, but I think is much healthier and easier to bang them in the oven and wait for them to harden, then you can top them with whatever you want.
This recipe always makes me think about my lovely mum, because she loves them and when I was growing up, this was one of her recipes to make when she didn’t want to cook. Over the years I have changed some of the ingredients and I added my own touch, so let me know if you cook this recipe, I would love to know what you think.
Tostadas de Frijoles Negros
- baking tray
- 15 little corn tortillas
- 1 tin black beans in water no salt
- ½ tomato chopped
- ½ white onion chopped
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black garlic salt or normal salt
- 1 cup feta crumbled
- 1 whole avocado sliced
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees F. Place the tortillas on a baking tray and bake them for 20 min or until they are hard & golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan to medium heat and add the onion, tomato, black garlic salt and pinch of cumin. Fry for 5 min.
- Open the tin of beans and get rid of some of the liquid. Add the beans to the saucepan and cook until they start bubbling. Then turn the heat off and mash them with the potato masher. Set aside.
- Crumble the feta cheese and slice the avocado. Then place some beans over a tostada. Scatter some feta, slices of avocado and your favourite spicy salsa! Place them on a platter and take them to the table to share with your family.
I would love to hear if you liked this recipe, tag me on social media #mexicanfoodmemories to see your creations. And if you want to learn to make this recipe and more, join me in one of my Mexican Cooking Classes.
Stay safe lovely people! Sending you a big hug from London! We will be fine.