When you are a kid growing up in Mexico, you know that birthday parties are the best! You break a piñata, threw yourself on the floor to pick sweets and eat lots of sugary sweets for days! What else can I child want and need!
Parties in children birthday Mexico are just totally different from the UK ones. You not only invite have to invite your child’s friends, but you also have to invite the parents and other siblings. Parents usually go large celebrating a child’s birthday, they hire a proper party venue, pay someone to cook the food for all the guests, usually the menu for the parents is different from the menu for the children, adults get to drink beer or wine, there is a theme and the place get decorated around that theme, there is a DJ, an entertainer, few piñatas and, did I mentioned that they last more than two hours??? Well, yes, being invited to a child’s party is the best, because you get to eat good food, drink as much as you want and you only need to bring a good present and obviously your child or children.
So, when I was growing up, we used to get so excited about celebrating our friend’s birthdays and for me it wasn’t always about the sweet, but also about the good food.
And this salad was a favourite for parties when I was a child. It is cheap and easy to make, the result is this delicious combination of carrot with raisins, almost kind of like a carrot cake, without the flour, eggs and spices.
I absolutely love this salad because it can be down in advance and it is a great companion for a good bbq, perfect for a hot summer’s day as it is serve chilled.
Ensalada de Zanahoria y Pasas (Carrot and Raisins Salad)
- 6 peeled carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chopped sweet pineapple (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tbsp agave syrup or honey
- 1 Pinch of black peoper
- 1 tbsp salt
- Grate all the carrots and place them in a large bowl. Add the coriander, coconut, pineapple and almond flakes and mix.
- Make the dressing in another bowl.
- Combine the mayo, creme fraiche, salt, pepper and agave syrup, mix and add the to carrots.
- Mix well and store it in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Serve cold and enjoy it with a nice grilled chicken or steak!