Children birthday parties in Mexico are just totally different from the ones I take my children in London. You not only have to invite children, but the parents and other siblings come as well. Parents usually go large celebrating a child’s birthday, they hire a proper party venue, pay someone to cater, usually the menu for the parents is different from the menu for the children, adults get to drink beer or wine, there is a theme and the place get decorated around that theme, there is a DJ, an entertainer, few piñatas and, did I mentioned that they lasts more than two hours??? Well, yes, being invited to a child’s party is the best, because you get to eat good food, drink as much as you want and you only need to bring a good present and obviously your child or children.
So, when I was growing up, we used to get so excited about celebrating our friend’s birthdays and for me it wasn’t always about the sweets, but also about the good food.
And this Ensalada de Zanahoria y Pasas or Carrots and raisins salad was a favourite for parties when I was a child. It is cheap and easy to make, the combination of carrots with raisins is brilliant.
I absolutely love this Ensalada de Zanahoria y Pasas because it can be done in advance and it is a great companion for a good bbq, perfect for a hot summer’s day as it is serve chilled.
Ensalada de Zanahoria y Pasas
- 6 peeled carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chopped sweet pineapple (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tbsp agave syrup or honey
- 1 Pinch of black peoper
- 1 tbsp salt
- Grate all the carrots and place them in a large bowl. Add the coriander, coconut, pineapple and almond flakes and mix.
- Make the dressing in another bowl.
- Combine the mayo, creme fraiche, salt, pepper and agave syrup, mix and add the to carrots.
- Mix well and store it in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Serve cold and enjoy it with a nice grilled chicken or steak!