This is a wonderful recipe, I would say is the sort of deconstruction of “Nopales in Chile Colorado” recipe but with a twist, the egg coating. In Mexico egg coating is very popular, the most popular dish is “Chiles Rellenos” which you can find here in a more healthy way. Anyway, I was given this jar of whole nopalitos by my friends from MexGrocer, so I decided to give this recipe a go and I do not regret to use the nopalitos this way. It is a bit of a job, but the results are just wonderful. So come on! it is Friday night, give this recipe a try and you will see, you will be converted to eat nopalitos (cactus) all the time.
Makes 5 stuffed nopalitos per jar
Prep 30 min approx
Cook 30 min approx
For the nopalitos
- 1 Azteca whole nopalitos in brine jar
- 10 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- salt to taste
- 1 cup pressed rapeseed oil
For the Chile Colorado sauce
- 5 dried Anaheim chillies, cleaned and deseeded
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- coriander finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chilli finely chopped
- 10 gr crumbled feta cheese
- Make the chile colorado sauce. Cook the chillies in hot water for 3 min.
- Place them in a blender with some of the water that you boiled them in and add the tomatoes, onion, salt and garlic and blend them until getting a nice smooth sauce.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve to remove any chilli skin and put it to boil in low heat for 10 min. Reserve.
- Drain and wash the nopalitos (cactus). Remove any excess of water.
- Place a whole nopalito on a flat surface, then put two slices of mozzarella cheese on top follow by another whole nopalito, repeat this until you finish stuffing all the nopalitos.
- Prepare the egg coating. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks then add the egg yolks and continue mixing until everything is combined. Put aside.
- Have the coating ready, place the all purpose flour on a place and add some salt.
- Put the rapeseed oil to heat on a large frying pan to medium heat. Once is hot, start coating the nopalitos.
- Coat the cheese stuffed nopalitos with the flour first, then coat them with the egg coating.
- Fry the nopalitos one by one in the oil. 3 min on each side.
- Once they are fried, place them on top of some paper kitchen towels to remove the excess of oil.
- Serve them with some of the chile colorado sauce and garnish them with some onio, coriander, jalapeno chilli and fetta cheese.
- Your can get “Azteca” whole nopalitos in brine in www.mexgrocer.co.uk
- If you can’t find dried anaheim chillies, use guajillo chillies, but use only 3 chillies and more tomatoes as the guajillos are spicier than anaheim.