If I have to choose a Mexican dish for a winter day, I would choose pozole, any time and in any style, pozole rojo (red), verde (green) or blanco (white). I love pozole, it is such a nice cosy dish for a cold day that I love cooking it at home. My hubby and my children love it too, so when I make pozole or posole, I made a lot.
The word Pozole, comes from the Nahuatl word “Pozolli”, which means hominy. It is a Mexican dish that has been in the Mexican cuisine since ancient times. The Aztecs used to make pozole in special occasions and the dish was share among the people, the type of meat used then was different, it was after the Spanish Conquest that they start using pork. Nowadays this dish is usually prepare in special occasions, like birthdays, Christmas and New Year.
In my family we usually have pozole for New Year, my sister Sonia is the one that always makes it, as she has this special way to do it. Today I decided to make pozole blanco (white pozole) and I used pork osso bucco (that is the name for this type of cut), it is a very simple recipe, but it tastes very good. This type of pozole is eaten with chopped coriander, onion, squeeze of lime, some oregano and some chiltepin chilli, in my family we don’t eat it with shredded cabbage or lettuce, like the red pozole.
Prep 15 min
Cook 1 hr 40 min
- 4 large Pork Osso Bucco pieces
- 300 gr Carey already cooked pozole (hominy grains), drained and washed
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 small onion peeled and cut in halg
- 1.5 litre pork stock or water
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 limes cut in quaters
- Chiltepin chillies (one is enough as they are extremely spicy, you need to crush them before serving them) or any other spicy chilli or salsa.
- Place the pork osso bucco in a large casserole dish with the bay leaves, onion, garlic, salt and pork stock or water. Bring it to a boil and low the heat and let it simmer for around 1 and 20 min.
- Add the pozole grains and cook for 15 more min. Make sure not to cook the grains for too long.
- Once the meat is cooked with the pozole grains. Discard the bayleaves, onion and garlic.
- Serve it in a bowl and scatter some chopped onion and coriander, squeeze some lime and add something spicy. Enjoy it with a nice cold beer.