Enfrijoladas are these delicious fried tortillas stuff with queso fresco and top with the most amazing bean sauce. I love cooking enfrijoladas on a day when I do not want to spend ages in the kitchen, they are so easy to make and everybody in my family loves them.
The dish starts by making the bean sauce, if I feel mega lazy, I usually use a tin of black beans, but most of the time I tend to have beans in my freezer, so I make a simple sofrito of onion and garlic and then I add the beans, adding lots of the bean juice, because we need a runny sauce. Then I season it with salt and a pinch of cumin and that is it, sauce is ready in no time.
Beans and corn are the two main ingredients on a Mexican diet, we love corn and we always cook and eat beans. In my house in Mexico there is always some beans in the fridge, we would always eat them for breakfast or as a side dish for our main meal and there the corn tortillas are a must is any Mexican house.
So this combination is a delicious success of simple flavours, but together they make the best meal. Let me know if you like this recipe by leaving a comment.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 tin black beans in water no salt
- 2 cups queso fresco or feta
- ½ white onion
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup hot water
- Heat a sauce pan and add two tbsp of vegetable oil, add the onion and garlic and fry for 3 minutes, then add the beans with all the juice and add the water. Season with salt and cumin. Bring it to a slight boil and then blend it until it becomes a smooth sauce. Return to the sauce pan and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and fry the tortillas one by one. Fill the tortillas with a bit of queso fresco and fold them, place them on a serving platter and when all the tortillas are fried and filled witht the cheese. Pour the bean sauce.
- Garnish with more queso fresco and slice onion. Enjoy them with some Mexican rice.