These days I puzzle very much about how to eat more fish in our diet, you know, I grew up in a fish town (Ensenada) and we used to eat fish at least twice a week and here in London I really struggle to cook fish in different ways.
So I decided that I am going to be in a mission and I will try to cook fish in a different way every time we eat at home, which is once a week, I am also going to try to eat different types, not only the easy option (cod or haddock), so today I bought some mackerel, I have cooked mackerel in the past, I think I have a mackerel with green pipian in my blog. Today’s recipe is very simple, it is mackerel fillets in a tomatillo sauce with some asparagus and pickled red onion, it is such a simple recipe, but very flavoursome, I especially like combination of the tangy green salsa with the fish, it is the perfect combination.
So here is the quick recipe, if you like it do not forget to leave me a comment! Thanks for reading!
Prep 10 min
Cook 30 min
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 3 fresh tomatillos cut in chunks
- 1/2 onion cut in chunks
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño
- Small bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 12 asparagus
- 1 small red onion
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp table salt to pickle the onion
- Pinch of oregano
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180. Have a saucepan and frying pan ready.
- Place the tomatillo, onion, garlic and jalapeño in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 10 min.
- While the veggies are cooking, place the asparagus on a baking tray, sprinkle 1 tbsp of oil, some salt & pepper and place them in the oven for 15 min.
- Then make the red pickle onion. Cut the onion in thin slices a d add the tbsp of table salt and set aside.
- Heat the frying pan and place the fillets one by one skin down. Press down each fillet with your fingers to avoid the fish to curl up.
- Place a saucepan lid on top of the fish to cook the top.
- While the fillets are cooking finish making the pickled onion. Rinse the onion with fresh water to get rid off the salt. Squeeze the juice of a lime and add a pinch of oregano and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Make the salsa. Put all the veggies in a blender. Then once blended add the fresh coriander, salt & pepper to seasoned and set aside.
- Take your asparagus out of the oven and set aside.
- Cut some lime wedges.
- By now the mackerel fillets have to be cooked. The skin has to be crispy.
- Serve two mackerel fillets per person with some asparagus, pickled onion and drizzle some green salsa on top & finish off by squeezing some lime to get that extra tangy flavour. Enjoy!