Hello there! It is been a while since my last post, but I have been very busy.
Today I am sharing with you a delicious recipe made with pork belly, tomatillos, jalapeños and lots of love! Puerco en Salsa Verde is one of my absolute favourite dishes ever, especially if you add some sort of greens, in this occasion, I added some spinach, which gives the dish a more satisfying flavour and you’ll feel good to see the green bits in it.
The salsa is made with tomatillos, if you can’t find fresh tomatillos in London, do not hesitate to buy tin ones, the flavour will just change slightly, but they will taste good. I cooked my pork in advance as I wanted the pieces to be very tender and then I added the sauce. I served mine pork in green sauce with some tomato rice and refried beans, but if you want to you can serve them in tacos and add some fresh raw veggies to eat them.
So I hope you are all ok and you haven’t miss as much as I did. Please do not forget to leave a comment, they mean a lot to me!
Puerco en Salsa Verde
- 500 gr pork belly cut in chunks
- 1 peeled white onion
- 3 peeled garlic cloves
- 5 fresh tomatillos roughly chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeños, stem off and chopped
- A bunch of fresh spinach chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of dried oregano
- One tbsp of vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish (dutch oven) and sealed the pieces of pork, making sure to not over crowd the pan while sealing the pork.
- Then add a pint of water, salt to taste, ground black pepper, oregano, half an onion & a garlic clove. Bring it to a boil and then low the heat down, put the lid on and cook the pork slowly until tender (around an hour)
- Once the pork is ready, blend tomatillos together with the rest of the onion, garlic and add one jalapeño chopped. Blend until smooth.
- Once you have the salsa, add it to the cooked pork and let it cook for 15 min.
When the salsa is cooked add the spinach and stir for a minute or two. Serve with some Mexican rice and refried beans or shred the pieces of pork and serve it as a taco garnish them with chopped onion and fresh coriander.*Note: If you want to make it spicier, just add more jalapeños. You can add other type of greens if you do not have spinach.Listo!Provecho!